So finally the USA gets some love in the release schedule (with the Firefly Jump Troops also released) and we see that Uncle Sam’s plan to deal with the weird and wonderful creations of super science is lead poisoning, avalible in a variety of calibers and velocities.
As part of that plan comes the excellent Kodiak Medium Walker. The fluff states this is to add an Anti-Aircraft option to support walker platoons and as such can fill the skies with lead. Luckily for USA players it also works a bit closer to the ground.
This figure is the third US medium walker released (as we already hve the Grizzly and the Mudskipper ) and the second relased varient on the Grizzly chassis, with the Bruin still to come.
In terms of the kit, its another nice clean example from warlord. I was suprised to see its a one piece torso, I was expecting a grizzly body with a differrent stick on front piece.
As ever the cleaning is minimal, and it goes together well.
The only thing to highlight is making sure you autocannons barrells are sufficiently level, otherwise it ruins the look a bit. As ever, liquid green stuff is your friend.
As you can see, once its come together, it’s straightforward aesthetic goves it a very defined look.
On The Table
The kodiak is an interesting one. It seems to be closer to the Mudskipper than the Grizzly in design intent, and puts out more dice at the expense of the mudskippers mobility. It also lacks the bazooka options of the Mudskipper but again, this fits its fluff as an anti-aircraft platform. The rules are on page 158 of the main rulebook.
- Multiple shots with pen modifiers – It frightens the hell out of Heavy Infantry and veteran troops. With each arm putting out 6 HMG shots at +1 pen and 2 Autocannon shots at +2 pen there is a good chance that use of both arms can delete a small unit or compromise a large units effevtiveness in a single round of shooting.
- Light vehicle AT – it is also very effective at scaring light vehicles, especially the soft skin or 7+ armour tht people take to aid mobility.
- Lots of guns! – It is a mobile firebase and if like me you struggle with the dice rolling you will know the more the merrier!
- Army Selection – this is more about what it isn’t. It’s not your big AT machine and by taking this in a single platoon tank slot, you will need to ensure you have AT elsewhere in the list.
- No fists – to be honest, this drawback is limited, as if the Kodiak is in combat you are doing it wrong as much as I’d love to shred anything on the way in, remeber the Kodiak cannot reaction fire as its not small arms!
- Expensive – Like the other US walkers this is going to cost you. At around a fifth of your points you need to be as efficient as possible to make the cost back.
This is a gun platform, a big gun platform. It basically does what it says on the tin.
It’s a great support piece, and can be great for area denial and board control, just be aware that one shot can knock out significant part of your support. Also dont let the vicious assault troops get close, one squad of vamps or bears and ypur going to have a bad time!
As is only proper I have named my Kodiak, so the Curse of Scotland will be shortly joining the 107th on the battlefield, mainly as a key volume of fire part of my heavy infantry theme force.
If you want to add one to your force, visit the Boss for great service and prices. Tell him Shipman sent you and he’ll sort you out !